As someone who is always inspired by textures and materials, this assignment was a big inspiration.
Commissioned by the design/fitout team to photograph the newly opened Havwoods showroom in Clerkenwell, I was amazed at the incredibly creative approach to displaying product, and in fact the whole hospitable concept – moons away from a traditional sales environment.
Verging on industrial in style, yet giving an open and comfortable atmosphere, favourites included:
- The unlacquered satin brass drawers. These had already started taking on a unique and beautiful patina, and I could see they were going to grow more and more stunning as time went on.
- The metalwork, including the stairs and the discussion table. I loved the way at the joins the weld had been ground flat and this had left bright bare metal patches amidst the dull matt black and the odd splashes of red primer.
- An interesting combination of bare and white painted brickwork, giving warmth in places and cool serenity in others
- The contemporary lighting, with minimalist white directional spotlights and long antique metal fittings.
- Intricate exposed white woodwork on the downstairs ceilings, with its system of wooden cross braces.
- The subtle change to from white to grey paintwork and soft wall panels in the customer discussion areas.
- And of course the huge variety of wood, including the flooring throughout and many many display boards and samples.